Chengdu - Famous for Pandas
As China powers ahead, it would be easy to believe there’s no time for relaxation. Not so in Chengdu - and not so on our Chengdu tours.
Chengdu has a well-earned reputation for its relaxed lifestyle, slower pace and for its favourite residents – the world’s largest population of pandas. On a Chengdu tour you will visit China’s national treasures at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding or visit Dujiangyan Panda Base. Take in the region’s traditional food with a walk along Jinli Street and admire the world’s largest stone Buddha statue and picturesque Jiuzhaigou.
Chengdu is hot, humid and busy with local tourists in summer, and while temperatures drop to single digits in cooler months, there is always a warm welcome, tea and Sichuan hotpot to enjoy.
With both Chengdu day tours and multi-day tours available, experience Chengdu via one of our small group tours with a set itinerary. For a more relaxed pace and personalised experience, take in the sites with your own personal Chengdu tour guide on a private Chengdu tour.
- Experience food Sichuan-style – For an authentic culinary experience visit one of Chengdu’s fine hot pot dinners. Flavoursome and fun, hot pot is a wonderful way to meet the locals and eat as they do.
- Be entertained – Chengdu’s nightlife exposes the lighter side of China’s cultural history with its gorgeously ornate costumes and masks, ear-piercing opera, and hilarious Chinese slapstick, you’ll experience a different side of China not often seen.
- Drink tea – Tea culture originated in Chengdu making it the ideal place to take time and savour tea. Visit one of the many traditional tea houses, meet connoisseurs, learn about leaves, sip slowly, and breathe. The perfect way to spend an afternoon in Chengdu.
- Get up close with pandas – For an extra special panda experience, visit Dujiangyan Panda Base. By making a donation (check costs when booking with us), you can sit with these gorgeous animals and understand more about what makes them so lovable.
- Extend your tour - Experience more of what China has to offer, many of our popular China tour packages include not only Chengdu but other exciting Chinese destinations and attractions, join one of our many small group tours - or ask us for a tour custom designed to your specifications.