Join one of our Xian tours
Explore China taking one of our Xian tours and discover why this destination emerged as the axis on which China’s Silk Road turned for centuries. Located in Shaanxi Province, as the ancient capital of China during various dynasties, Xian is home to many treasures. Its commercial pedigree runs deep and continues to endure today. Under Tang dynasty rule (618-907), Xian flourished, and the remnants of that prosperity in Central Asian trade can be found today as you wander the city’s streets. In many ways, Xian has existed - and continues to - as a portal for new developments. While its role as the gateway to the Silk Road may have diminished, Xian continues to offer western travelers, and indeed travelers from all corners of the globe, the opportunity to dive into the cultural and commercial heart of the country.
Friendly, alive, and gorgeously adorned with red lanterns and city lights, Xian is unlike any other city in China. Located at the country’s heart, Xian reflects this in its people who are warm and welcoming. Xian does a beautiful job of balancing China’s old and new and melting pot of cultures, a skill perhaps mastered through history as an international point of trade.
Naturally, no Xian tour would be complete without the world’s most remarkable soldiers, the Terracotta Army, however, come to Xian prepared to be surprised. There is so much more to this vibrant, colorful city. Unlike Beijing with its more serious ‘country capital’ vibe, Xian marches to the beat of its own drum.
Among the many Xian highlights, you’ll discover an ancient city wall that is virtually intact, a remarkable feat given the pace at which China has advanced. Sensational restaurants and street food are a given, along with many other ancient Chinese treasures, found at the Shaanxi History Museum, Drum and Bell Towers, beautiful pagodas, temples, and mosques, and more.
The area around Xian offers much to the explorer too. Take advantage of Xian tours that cover ground within a day’s travel of the city. In close proximity, you’ll find Chenlu Ancient Town, the home of porcelain in China’s northwest; Yan’an, a place where the spectacular Hukou Waterfall can be admired; Donghan Folk Art Village, a trove of traditional art and craft; and Foping National Natural Reserve.
With ChinaTours.com there are many options for a Xian tour. Choose from a small group (maximum 12 travelers), a private Xian tour, made up of your own family and friends, or custom design your own tour. For travelers wanting a next-level experience, we can help with that too. Each of our luxury tours includes time in Xian.
We challenge you to not fall in love with Xian. It’s simply beautiful! And with the help of our knowledgeable English speaking tours guides, our Xian tours are the gateway to discover and experience real China. Totally focused on showing you the best Xian has to offer, your Xian tour will make for beautiful travel memories that will inspire you long after you return home.
Ready for your Xian adventure? Be surprised and delighted by the highlights of our Xian tours.
- Salute the Terracotta Army – Discovered in 1974 by a local farmer near the Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor, the Terracotta Army is an incredible collection of terracotta figures, horses, and chariots, believed to part of Emperor Qin’s attempt to protect himself in the afterlife.
- Ascend Xian’s City Wall – Xian city has an interesting history, as over 1000 years ago it was the point of origin for the famous Silk Road. Take the opportunity on your Xian tour to explore the ancient Xian City Wall which encloses the old capital. Marvel at the largest and best-preserved city wall currently standing in China which looks as though no time has passed.
- Reflect in the Great Mosque – Take advantage of the opportunity to visit the oldest and largest Islamic mosque in China. Still a place of reverence and contemplation for locals and visitors, the Great Mosque is a walled complex of five courtyards, with many walls carrying beautiful depictions of plants, birds, objects and text, in both Arabic and Chinese. The gardens and traditional architecture provide a gorgeous backdrop for creating beautiful travel memories.
- Wander Muslim Quarter – Food lovers will savor their Xian tour experience, especially when it takes them down Muslim Quarter. A half kilometer stretch of thriving and bustling commerce, Muslim Quarter is lined on both sides with delicious restaurants and traditional Muslim shops offering tasty treats and bargains for the intrepid traveler. While it draws tourists, there’s no doubt Muslim Quarter is a firm favorite with locals as well. There’s a strong Muslim community and culture here and it’s become something of a famous drawcard for Xian.
- Explore Shaanxi History Museum – As China’s first contemporary museum, Shaanxi History Museum does a fine job of curating China’s ancient and modern history. Thoughtfully designed in keeping with traditional Tang dynasty buildings with a central hall with four sections around it, it’s a museum that’s garnered international attention with its permanent and visiting collections.
Our Xian tours are what beautiful travel memories are made of. Here are just a few of the experiences you can add to your travel arrangements on a small group, private or custom tour. While you’re traveling with us, let’s make it happen!
- Bike ride the City Wall – Xian’s City Walls are in premium condition making a bike ride an easy way to traverse the four sides of the city and take in both old and new. Expect outstanding views from every corner and lots of laughter as you unleash your inner childlike adventurer. Tandem bikes are available for those wanting a little extra fun!
- Experience the Tang Dynasty up close – Dig a little deeper into Xian’s ancient history and experience the Tang Dynasty’s story through the ancient capital’s traditional music and dance. The Tang Dynasty’s legacy endures in Xian today through this wonderful show filled with historical Chinese drama, dance, and music. Captivating and dazzling, the mix of tragedy and triumph provides an insight into ancient imperial life.
- Indulge with dumplings – Definitely a treat for the foodie, Xian dumplings come in all shapes, sizes, and yes, even colors. A beautifully prepared banquet offers visitors the chance to savor the many variations on a dumpling. Be sure to arrive hungry and prepare for a Xian-style food experience.
While you’re in Xian, why not take advantage of its proximity to other highlights that showcase Shaanxi Province. Whether you choose from our existing range of Xian tours or want a custom designed experience, we’ll bring it to life for you.
- Be inspired at Mount Hua – Hike or take a cable car to the north peak of Mount Hua, one of China’s five great mountains. Find inspiration in the breathtaking view made possible at the mountain’s peak. Precipitous cliffs, magnificent sunrises and sunsets, suspended caves, and Taoist temples are all waiting for you there.
- Discover more history in Yan’an – Outside of Xian, you’ll find Yan’an, where the magnificent Hukou Waterfall Scenic Spot is located. Spectacular – and famously yellow – Hukou Waterfall is an iconic highlight in the region. Depending on the time of your visit, you may even be lucky enough to catch a rainbow created by the main falls as it thunders into the gorge below. Yan’an is also home to the fascinating Mausoleum of the Yellow Emperor. Enjoy the chance to visit this sacred sight where it is believed the Yellow Emperor attained enlightenment leaving only his cap and robe to be entombed.
- Step back in time at Donghan Folk Art Village – Discover the art and craftsmanship of peasants that flourished here during the peak of the Communist revolution. With the opportunity to turn your hand to paper-cutting, painting, and dining with the local peasant families, a visit here is truly an encounter with a part of ancient China that is still intact.
- Explore the Foping National Natural Reserve – Don’t make the mistake of thinking natural wildlife doesn’t flourish in China. It does! In Foping National Natural Research, take the opportunity to see wild giant pandas, golden monkeys, and leopards peacefully at home in their natural habitat – if you’re patient and persistent enough to wait.
While our team of travel consultants are creative tour designers and have already curated many one day and multi-day Xian tours, we understand there are travelers who want to dream up their own adventure. We love that – we’re big dreamers too – and it’s why we offer customers the flexibility of designing their own tour . If Xian is a city on your must-see-in-China-bucket-list, we’ve got this! Talk to us about how we can help create China travel memories that include a Xian tour and get that bucket list ticked off.
Our range of luxury tours is for travel lovers looking for a next-level experience. If this is you, here’s what to expect on a luxury tour stop in gorgeous Xian. ChinaTours.com’s Luxury Tour Advantage service means you have 24/7 local assistance in every destination city, including from the moment you arrive in Xian having traveled business class by high speed train from Beijing. Premium luxury accommodation at the Sofitel Legend People’s Grand Hotel, an experience of pure indulgence. A more relaxed tour itinerary giving you the opportunity to wander freely through landmarks favored by locals, like Shuncheng Alley and Shuyuanmen Street, both ideal destinations for adding to your trove of collectibles. For the opportunity to truly connect to a deeper aspect of Chinese culture, in Xian, you’ll be a guest enjoying premium seats at a remarkable performance of music and dance at the Tang Dynasty Palace. A chance to experience real China in understated style, our luxury tours are the perfect way to create beautiful travel memories with a difference.