Join us for no commission-based shopping tours.The very best in China.
Exotic Tibet Tours
Remote, mysterious, exotic, and breathtakingly beautiful, Tibet is a travel destination beyond compare. With its mighty ice-capped mountains, awe-inspiring lakes, unique and ancient culture, and friendly people, Tibet tours are worth every step of the distance and time taken to reach them.
Both mystical and magical, a tour of Tibet is the opportunity to step into a whole different world. Unlike anywhere else in China or the world, we offer multi-day Tibet tours, including stays at the holy city of Lhasa. All our Tibet tours are private tours and can be customized to individual travel schedules and interests. If you want to travel further and explore more, ChinaTours.com also provides popular tours of China that include Tibet. Read more
There are many drawcards for an adventurer looking for a Tibet tour and an authentic experience of this region's majesty and beauty. It’s why ChinaTours.com’s Tibet tours are led only by local guides with deep knowledge of the country, culture, and history. They will take you through the many spiritual, natural, and man-made attractions, visiting destinations such as Lhasa, Gyangtse, Shigatse, and Tsetang, Mount Everest, Yomdrok Lake and Lhatse Town.
The famous Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and many chapels and pilgrim pathways are must-see sights, projecting a reverence affecting all visitors, regardless of the motivation for their trek to Tibet. Undoubtedly, every day in Tibet is an adventure and the opportunity to create beautiful travel memories.
Looking for a custom Tibet tour experience?
While there are plenty of options to choose from with our existing Tibet tour itineraries, we understand that some customers prefer to design their own travel experience. We love that - and you can relax knowing our team of travel consultants is here to help bring your travel dreams to life. Read more
One of the great things about all our tours of Tibet is they can be customized to individual travel timetables and interests. This includes extending the duration of stays in any destination and making arrangements for visits to other locations in the region, or even further afield in China and beyond. No detail is too small, so let us help you create the kind of travel memory that lasts a lifetime.
Apart from the appeal of Lhasa and its many attractions, on our Tibet Tours any – or all – of the following can be arranged:
- Potala Palace – A magnificent icon of Tibet, visiting Potala Palace will be a travel memory you’ll always treasure. Apart from being a surprising example of architectural design, Potala Palace is a place where reverence meets wonder. Both pilgrims and travelers alike sense its reverence, regardless of their origins. Formerly the residence of the Dalai Lama you’ll discover the history behind this sacred, mysterious palace, which dates back to the 7th century.
- Jokhang Temple – The most divine and respected Buddhist temple among locals and pilgrims, Jokhang Temple has a history of over 1,300 years. Join the waves of awestruck pilgrims prostrating themselves outside the 1300 year old temple, the spiritual center of Buddhism in Tibet and location of the central golden Buddha. The temple presents an interesting mixture of the architectural design of its Tang dynasty, Tibetan, Indian and Nepalese origin.
- Barkhor Circuit – Feel the spirit of Tibet as you’re swept up into the pulsing surge of pilgrims traveling clockwise around the Jokhang Temple. The walk encircling Jokhang is about one kilometer long, and locals and tourists enjoy both the atmosphere and markets.
- Ani Tsankhung Nunnery – Located near Jokhang Temple is the only nunnery in downtown Lhasa. Built in the 15th century on a site used for meditation by the 7th century Tibetan King Songtsen Gampo, the nuns who live their support themselves through the sale of alms and production of items such as clothing and printed texts.
- Norbulingka – Built originally on the site of a healing spring three kilometers west of the Potala Palace is the summer palace where the Dalai Lamas worked and lived during summer. Now the extensive residence has become a tourist attraction housing a large collection of Italian chandeliers, Ajanta frescoes, Tibetan carpets and murals of Buddha and previous Lamas.
- Drepung Monastery – Feel honored touring the center of learning and one of the most sacred monasteries in Tibet, regarded as analogous with the Sorbonne or Oxford. Around 300 monks study at the center. The biggest event is the giant thangka unveiling of Buddha’s picture during the Shoton Festival. This large complex is also home to a valuable collection of porcelain, Thangka, scriptures, Buddha statues, armor and weapons.
- Sera Monastery – Gain further insight into the depth of Buddhist learning when visiting one of the Great Three Gelug University Monasteries of Tibet. The group of buildings established in 1434 is known as “Wild Roses Monastery”, in deference to the wild roses originally growing in the area. Sample true tradition of Tibet when you tour the magnificent Sera Monastery and watch the monks practice their physical form of debating which involves an unusual amount of hand slapping and pushing.
Our Tibet tours can be scheduled to align with the timing of important spiritual festivals in the region. Be sure to enquire about the possibilities of this inclusion on your Tibet tour when you speak to our team.
- Celebrate the Shoton Festival – A highlight of the Tibetan calendar, the Shoton Festival marks the end of the Tibetan monks’ hundred day summer retreat. Known for its Tibetan opera and Buddha paintings, the Shoton Festival is the most important for Tibetan people. Join the local people as they view the famous Buddha Thaka.
- Experience Thangka – Bright, beautiful and holy, Tibetan Thangka is a unique art genre that must be experienced in Tibet. Attend a Thangka ceremony and watch the art come alive.
- Visit Namtso – The second largest alpine lake in Tibet, Namtso is a little over 4,700 meters above sea level. Not only is Namtso beautiful, getting there is a treat too. Take in the snow-capped Nyenchen Thanglha Mountain Ranges, trek around Tashi Island, or simply admire the sunrise view of the Namtso Lake.
- Stay at the Everest Base Camp – If you’re looking for more adventure, why not take in the Everest Base Camp? With cycling and trekking options available to more intrepid travelers, Everest Base Camp is a must-visit destination in Tibet. Our team can easily arrange travel from Lhasa to Kathmandu. Just ask us!
All our Tibet tours can be customized to individual travel timetables and interests, including extending stays and arranging visits to other locations in the region. With our experienced team of travel consultants, we’ll design the ideal Tibet tour that stays with you for a lifetime.
If you’re already in China or have booked a separate vacation, you might opt for a tour that includes just Tibet. With our goal to provide maximum flexibility one of the highest priorities for our customers, we can add your vacation in Tibet onto any other travel arrangements you have. There is no need for stress about coordinating arrivals, departures and everything in between because we look after all the details. Hotels, transfers, flights, trains, meals, and bespoke experiences – we can take care of it all.
In addition to our Tibet only tours, three of our most popular best China tours include multi-day stays in Tibet. These tours are all offered as private tours and may even be customized if you want to add to the itinerary. This is a great option if you want to extend or reduce your stay or add destinations to your travels. Need help? Just ask us. We’ll design the perfect tour of China including Tibet that makes the most of your time and ticks off your bucket list.
Awaken to the beauty, enlightened spirit, and living heritage of Tibet by traveling to Shambhala, said to be the inspiration for the mystical Shangri-La in James Hilton’s 1933 novel Lost Horizon.
There is no doubt that extending your adventure beyond Lhasa opens up a hidden, and in many ways, an idyllic world that cannot be found anywhere else on the planet. Pristine landscapes encompassing breathtaking alpine views, endless horizons, and deep green valleys make for postcard-like scenes as you travel between the villages of local ethnic minorities discovering ancient traditions still beautifully intact.
A Tibet tour beyond Lhasa offers the chance to immerse yourself in an authentic experience of the local people, traditions and culture, with the accommodation en route set amongst the gorgeous alpine landscape. With a focus on showcasing traditional culture in harmony with Tibet’s rich biodiversity and beauty, you will discover there is much more to this exquisite region than the amazing capital, Lhasa. Along the way, savor the unique insights to be gained in authentic traditional Tibetan craftsmanship, materials, and skills. It is a journey that can only make for treasured travel memories.
Appreciate the opportunity to travel at dramatic altitudes within the Tibetan plateau, which is home to a number of UNESCO World Heritage sites and over 25 ethnic minorities in the Yunnan Province, itself a treasure trove of flora and fauna. Among the highlights of these tours are the local artisans and communities, the Meili Snow Mountains, Mount Kawagebo, Three Parallel Rivers, Napa Lake, picturesque snow-capped mountains, gorgeous glaciers – and what every discerning traveler seeks – an incomparable peace. If you’re ready to journey within, we can take you there with our selection of Tibet tours beyond Lhasa. Just ask us.