Join us for no commission-based shopping tours.The very best in China.
Exotic Tibet Tours
Remote, mysterious, exotic, and breathtakingly beautiful, Tibet is a travel destination beyond compare. With its mighty ice-capped mountains, awe-inspiring lakes, unique and ancient culture, and friendly people, Tibet tours are worth every step of the distance and time taken to reach them.
Both mystical and magical, a tour of Tibet is the opportunity to step into a whole different world. Unlike anywhere else in China or the world, we offer multi-day Tibet tours, including stays at the holy city of Lhasa. All our Tibet tours are private tours, which can be customized to individual travel schedules and interests. If you want to travel further and explore more, ChinaTours.com also provides popular tours of China that include Tibet.
There are many drawcards for an adventurer looking for a Tibet tour and an authentic experience of Tibet’s majesty and beauty. It’s why ChinaTours.com’s Tibet tours are led only by local guides with deep knowledge for the region. They will take you through the many spiritual, natural, and man-made drawcards, visiting destinations such as Lhasa, Gyangtse, Shigatse, and Tsetang, Mount Everest, Yomdrok Lake, Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Lhatse Town.
The famous Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and many chapels and pilgrim pathways are must-see sights, projecting a reverence affecting all visitors, regardless of their motivation for the trek to Tibet. Undoubtedly, every day in Tibet is an adventure and the opportunity to create beautiful travel memories.
Apart from the appeal of Lhasa and its many attractions, on our Tibet Tours any – or all – of the following can be arranged:
- Potala Palace – A magnificent icon of Tibet, visiting the Potala Palace will be a travel memory you’ll always treasure. Apart from being a surprising example of architectural design, Potala Palace is a place where reverence meets wonder. Both pilgrims and travelers alike sense its reverence, regardless of where they’re from in the world. Formerly the residence of the Dalai Lama you’ll discover the history behind this sacred, mysterious palace, which dates back to the 7th century.
- Jokhang Temple – The most divine and respected Buddhist temple among locals and pilgrims, Jokhang Temple has a history of over 1,300 years. Join the waves of awestruck pilgrims prostrating themselves outside the 1300 year old temple, the spiritual center of Buddhism in Tibet and location of the central golden Buddha. The temple presents an interesting mixture of the architectural design of Tang dynasty, Tibetan, Indian and Nepalese origin.
- Barkhor Circuit – Feel the spirit of Tibet as you’re swept up into the pulsing surge of pilgrims traveling clockwise around the Jokhang Temple. The walk encircling Jokhang is about one kilometer long, and locals and tourists both enjoy the atmosphere and markets.
- Ani Tsankhung Nunnery – Located near Jokhang Temple is the only nunnery in downtown Lhasa. Built in the 15th century on a site that had been used for meditation by the 7th century Tibetan King Songtsen Gampo, the nuns who live their support themselves through the sale of alms and production of items such as clothing and printed texts.
- Norbulingka – Built originally on the site of a healing spring three kilometers west of the Potala Palace is the summer palace where the Dalai Lamas worked and lived during summer. Now the extensive residence has become a tourist attraction housing a large collection of Italian chandeliers, Ajanta frescoes, Tibetan carpets and murals of Buddha and previous Lamas.
- Drepung Monastery – Be honored touring the center of learning and one of the most sacred monasteries in Tibet, regarded as analogous with the Sorbonne or Oxford. Around 300 monks study at the center. The biggest event is the giant thangka unveiling of Buddha’s picture during the Shoton Festival. This large complex is also home to a valuable collection of porcelain, Thangka, scriptures, Buddha statues, armor and weapons.
- Sera Monastery – Gain further insight into the depth of Buddhist learning when visiting one of the Great Three Gelug University Monasteries of Tibet. The group of buildings established in 1434 is known as “Wild Roses Monastery”, in deference to the wild roses originally growing in the area. Sample a true taste of Tibet when you tour the magnificent Sera Monastery and watch the monks practice their physical form of debating which involves an unusual amount of hand slapping and pushing.
Our Tibet tours can be scheduled to align with the timing of important spiritual festivals. Be sure to inquire about the possibilities of this inclusion on your Tibet tour when you speak to our team.
- Celebrate the Shoton Festival – A highlight of the Tibetan calendar, the Shoton Festival marks the end of the Tibetan monks’ hundred day summer retreat. Known for its Tibetan opera and Buddha paintings the Shoton Festival is the most important for Tibetan people. Join the local people as they view the famous Buddha Thaka.
- Experience Thangka – Bright, beautiful and holy, Tibetan Thangka is a unique art genre that must be experienced in Tibet. Attend a Thangka ceremony and watch the art come alive.
- Visit Namtso – The second largest alpine lake in Tibet, Namtso is a little over 4,700 meters above sea level. Not only is Namtso beautiful, getting there is a treat too. Take in the snow-capped Nyenchen Thanglha Mountain Ranges, trek around Tashi Island, or simply admire the sunrise view of the Namtso Lake.
- Stay at the Everest Base Camp – If you’re looking for more adventure, why not take in the Everest Base Camp? With cycling and trekking options available to more intrepid travelers, Everest Base Camp is a must-visit destination in Tibet.
All our Tibet tours can be customized to individual travel timetables and interests, including extending stays and arranging visits to other locations in the region. With our experienced team of travel consultants, we’ll design the ideal Tibet tour to stay with you for a lifetime.
Three of our most popular China tours include touring Tibet as well. These tours can be customized as well if you wish to add more destinations, fewer destinations, visit longer or shorter, the choice is yours, tell us what is on your bucket list and we will design the perfect tour of China including Tibet for you.