Come on one of our Guangzhou tours
Located in the flourishing heart of the Pearl River Delta, Guangzhou is Guangdong Province’s capital city. Join one of our Guangzhou tours and see how since the Qin dynasty, it has operated as a political, economic, and cultural center, and even today continues in that role.
Known historically as Canton or Kwangchow, Guangzhou lies north of the Pearl River and close to the South China Sea, Hong Kong, and Macau. Its location makes it an important transportation hub and trading port that have seen it nicknamed China’s Southern Gateway.
Ideal as a layover destination or as an additional destination on one of our best China tours, as China’s third largest city, Guangzhou has plenty to offer any China tour adventurer.
Our Guangzhou tours include many highlights that can be experienced through a personalized private tour with one of our excellent bilingual guides. In addition to the set itineraries of our Guangzhou tours, travelers can enjoy time to enjoy a walk along Beijing Road, Renmin Road, Up Down Nine Street, which together show the city’s commercial traditions continue today.
Highlights of Guangzhou tours include:
- Ancestral Temple of Chen Family – This Chinese tradition of honoring family is nobly expressed in the 19 buildings comprising the temple complex. Buildings in a variety of architectural styles popular since construction first started in 1890, feature beautiful carvings. Until being recognized as a “Cultural Relic” the temple complex was used to worship Chen family ancestors, as a family temple, family school and as a residence for members.
- Shamian Island – Enjoy the history of this tree-lined neighborhood bordering the Pearl River which once housed wealthy foreign merchants, reflected in the different European architectural styles.
- Mausoleum of Nanyue King – The museum houses the 2,000 year old tomb and a trove of funerary artifacts of Nanyue King Zho Mo who ruled from 137 BC to 122 BC. The tomb was discovered in 1983 and opened in 1988.
Experiences not to be missed on Guangzhou tours include:
- Eat and cook Cantonese – Cantonese cuisine is not to be missed. Experience it firsthand, either dining in or learning Cantonese cooking yourself. We can arrange private cooking classes on your Guangzhou tour. Just ask us!
- Take a break – Savour Canton’s famous morning tea in Tao Tao Ju Jiu Jia, a cuisine experience you can’t miss. Ask your personal guide for their local favorite and mix with Guangzhou locals.
- Island hop – Visit Shamian Island with its European landscape. Serene and a break from the fast pace of Guangzhou, this idyllic location is home to bars and cafe houses along the tree covered street. It’s the perfect place to while away an afternoon.