Experience historical China on a Pingyao tour
Pingyao city is really something else in the realm of historical China. Come on one of our Pingyao tours and go back in time. Pingyao city is a destination where you can marvel at the business and administrative ingenuity that evolved from this ancient city – in trade, banking, government, and defense– that still hold value today. On a Pingyao tour, it’s entirely possible to imagine the lifestyle of prosperous leading families who drove business, when visiting their home compound that has formed the backdrop for the memorable Chinese film, Raise the Red Lantern.
Among its great appeal, Pingyao boasts one of the most complete examples of an ancient Chinese town. Within its still intact Ming and Qing dynasty City Walls, you will find a veritable treasure trove of culture, society, economy, and religion from an era long gone. It is possible to spend two or three full days exploring with a local bilingual guide on a Pingyao tour.
Our private, small group and custom Pingyao tours encompass all the must-see attractions, while also allowing ample time for relaxed ambling through the narrow historical streets to create your own unique travel memories in this curious destination, such as Pingyao Ancient Town, Qiao, the Wang Family mansion, and the primitive Zhangbi Castle.
Our Pingyao tours include memorable highlights.
- Rishengchang Former Bank – Wonder at the march of financial progress emanating from the Rishengchang Former Bank, a forerunner of modern banking, believed to be founded in Pingyao in 1823 during the Qing Dynasty. “Sunrise prosperity” (translation of Rishengchang) certainly lived up to its name, at its peak spreading throughout major cities in China and some foreign countries until the Xinhai Revolution of 1914. Gain a firsthand view of the inspiration behind today’s banking in China preserved in its original style.
- Ancient City Wall – A favorite Pingyao tours attraction. As the financial center of the region from the 16th century, Pingyao needed the wall for protection. Since becoming a World Heritage Site in 1997, restoration has continued on the 12 meters high, 4 meters wide wall, with a 6,163 meters perimeter, surrounded by a deep moat. The 72 watchtowers and more than 3,000 battlements are said to represent the number of Confucius’ disciples and other students.
- Ming and Qing Street – Envisage trade of old in the bustling business center of Pingyao’s narrow, orderly Ming and Qing Streets, built in the traditional Ming and Qing style architecture of bricks with stone. Shops and houses of prosperous trading families line what was once the “Wall Street of China”.
- Qiao family Compound – Moviegoers may recognize the Qiao Family Compound as the main location in the film Raise the Red Lantern. Construction began in 1756 and was completed sometime in the 18th century to become the residential compound for a well-known financier. Architects believe the 9,000 square meters of the estate to be one of the finest examples of imposing private residences in northern China and a must-see on a Pingyao tour.
- Shuanglin Monastery – Be surprised by the Shuanglin Monastery, located in Qiaotou village in the countryside about 7 kilometers outside Pingyao. Founded in the 6th century, the monastery is notable for its collection of more than 2,000 decorated clay statues dating back to the 12-19th centuries.
A world away from China’s super-sized modern cities, Pingyao is a welcome and refreshing change. With its history reflecting China’s strong commercial pedigree, in Pingyao, we help travelers create their own unique experience of this destination.
We can make special arrangements to make your Pingyao tour truly memorable.
- Imbibe history – On a Pingyao tour, it’s possible to dine as the Chinese did 300 years ago at Yunjincheng Restaurant. Eat traditional Pingyao Beef off elegant blue and white porcelain tableware and you’ll be stepping back in time and taste.
- Revive the old – Ancient Pingyao comes alive again at the Pingyao Night Show. Set in an old city scene from the Qing era, the show combines music, drama, dance, and performance. Be amazed by this not to be missed Pingyao tour attraction.
- Visit Tongxinggong Escort Agency – Make a stop at the Tongxinggong Escort Agency which served as an ancient security firm for protecting businesses and individuals trading valuables. Here you’ll gain an appreciation of the necessity for such a service. The organization maintains characteristics of escort: vehicles, cases, equipment and a field for martial arts.
On each of our private tours, we provide our travelers the certainty of careful attention to detail. When you book a Pingyao tour with us, we’ll arrange your itinerary and provide you with a knowledgeable and enthusiastic bilingual tour guide. Understanding the importance of balancing structure with flexibility, our tours allow for ample time to explore at your own pace, while gaining firsthand knowledge of your destination.
Why not have a look at some of our other popular China tour packages as well, these tours too can be taken as private tours, just you and your family or fellow group of travelers.