Enjoy Luoyang tours
Luoyang is the ancient capital of 13 Chinese dynasties and Luoyang tours are where you’ll discover serious history. Dating back to the Bronze Age, Luoyang is home to the stunning Longmen Grottoes, legendary Shaolin Kung Fu, Pagoda Forest, and Tianzi Jia Liu Museum.
Now more easily accessible from all over China via the growing bullet train network, Luoyang is a Chinese destination with a difference and makes Luoyang tours a must for history buffs.
Even in a one day Luoyang tour, it’s possible to capture a breath of the evolution of Chinese and Buddhist history – from an old imperial capital to the wonder of craftsmanship in the grottoes and the amazing capacity for renewal in the buildings and energy of Shaolin.
Luoyang tour highlights are best experienced over days, rather than crammed into a short visit. How else can you bear witness to some of China’s finest natural scenery?
- Longmen Grottoes – Be amazed at the number, scale, and wonder of some of the finest examples of Chinese Buddhist art to be found in caves excavated from limestone cliffs, located in an area of scenic natural environment. Unbelievably, the smallest statue is smaller than a finger and the largest ten times human size.
- White Horse Temple – Welcome to what is considered “the cradle of Chinese Buddhism”, the first temple established in China in 68 AD at the time of Emperor Ming of the Han dynasty. Significance of the temple has been preserved and renovated, along with the original stone statues that give the temple its name and many of the glorious halls and gardens in this interesting complex. From customer feedback, we know this is a favorite Luoyang tours attraction.
- Shaolin Temple – Feel the history of China and Buddhism evident in the multiple halls and building clusters comprising the temple buildings, first established in the 5th century when the first Indian master brought the Zen religion to China. Even the martial arts for which monks have become famous have an evolving story.
- Tianzijialiu Museum – It’s possible on a Luoyang tour to take a step back 2000 years, directly into the burial rituals and archeological artifacts of the Eastern Zhou dynasty (770 BC – 256 BC, in situ, first unearthed in 2003.
Not to be missed experiences on Luoyang tours include:
- Discover the legend of Kung Fu – No visit to the Shaolin Temple would be complete without enjoying a thrilling Kung Fu performance, which legend has originating in the temple as exercise for monks.
- Celebrate the peony – Luoyang is the birthplace of China’s national flower, the peony. Every year in April, this beautiful bloom is celebrated at the Peony Culture Festival. A sweet addition to any Luoyang tour.
- Savor silk – Luoyang is famous for its silk embroidery, a craft that dates back to the Han Dynasty. On your Luoyang tour take a walk down Luoyang Ancient Street in the old town center and be spoiled for creative choice.
- Light a lantern – Palace lantern making in Luoyang was developed in East Han Dynasty. Originating from royal palace banquets, traditionally designed lanterns are available at the Shanghai Market Pedestrian Street and are a popular memento of a Luoyang tour.