Enjoy an incomparable immersion experience with pandas captured in photographs as you spend the day as a volunteer working alongside professional panda keepers to tend to the daily needs of these amazing animals. On every level the day is an enriching one – whether hand feeding a panda, learning about their history, habitat and diet or working alongside keepers.
|Vehicle||Air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver|
|Guide Service & Language||Professional English-speaking guides|
Your guide will pick you up from your hotel in Chengdu at 7:30am in the morning for a one and a half hour drive to Dujiangyan Panda Base.
Once you have registered as a volunteer for the day, you will be provided with a work uniform, gloves and volunteer’s card. Professional keepers will then brief you about the day’s work. Panda keepers will supervise your activities, with translation provided by your guide.
The following outlines the program of activities:
1. Clean the enclosure
Your first task is to clean the indoor and outdoor enclosure. This involves sweeping out leftover bamboo, replenishing with fresh bamboo, clearing panda poo, as well as washing the floor with water.
2. Explore the Panda Base at leisure
Take a walk around the base in the designated area and enjoy its peaceful natural setting. You might see chubby panda cubs climbing trees, playing on the grass and sleeping on the treetops. It’s time to bring out your camera and take great photos.
3. Hand feeding a Panda
The highlight of the program is that you can get up close to hand feed a panda. Usual food includes bamboo shoots, apples, carrots and specially prepared cakes.
4. Revitalize with a simple lunch
Have a simple lunch with other volunteers at the staff canteen. Though the meal is a little basic, it is of traditional Chinese flavor. You can take a short break after lunch.
5. Watch a panda documentary
Watch a 40-minute movie to learn scientific facts about this endangered species and the extraordinary efforts being taken to protect them.
6. Afternoon cleaning and feeding
You get another chance to get close to these wonderful animals when you replenish their food supplies with fresh bamboo and more special treats.
7. Make food for pandas
Make some panda cakes with prepared ingredients under the guidance of the instructor. Here is a chance to use your imagination to create differently shaped cakes.
8. Finish the program
The program will conclude around 3pm, when you will be presented with a certificate given by China Conservation and Research Centre For The Giant Panda to remember this meaningful experience.
The tour will finish around 5.00pm, when you will be transferred to your hotel.
At the Dujiangyan Panda Base visitors can, for a cash donation, be photographed sitting together with a panda. Funds raised are donated to the cause of protecting and raising the endangered pandas. Let us know if you plan to do it so our tour experts can arrange it for you.
Note: As the Photo Program depends on the availability of pandas on different days, we will inform you of any unexpected changes. Generally early booking guarantees the availability of the program.
1. Panda Keeper Program has an age restriction from between 12 years to 65 years.
2. As a maximum of 30 keepers are allowed each day, it is advisable that you book the program at least two weeks before departure. You will appreciate that sometimes adjustments may be made to the program due to pandas’ health condition. Accurate information about the program will be provided to you by our travel as soon as we are advised.
3. Each volunteer panda keep applicant must provide a Physical Examination Record prior to commencement of the day’s activities.
4. Panda keepers are strongly advised to be guided by their supervisors and should approach the animals with extreme caution and only under supervision. Though pandas look gentle, they are animals and their behaviour can be unpredictable.
5. Panda keepers are not allowed to clean enclosures for panda mothers and babies but can help supervisors.
6. A surcharge may apply if you need to the transfer to airport after the Panda Keeper Program. If so, please make sure your flight leaves after 7pm. Alternatively the program can be shortened to fit in with your travel arrangements.
Inclusions / Exclusions
- Admission fees: to sightseeing spots & activities specified.
- Activities specified in the itinerary.
- Excellent professional English-speaking guide.
- Ground transport in an air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver as specified.
- Pick up and return to hotel.
- Simple Lunch at the panda base.
- Travel Agency Liability Insurance during the tour.
- Government taxes & fees.
- International/domestic flights and trains to/from Chengdu.
- China visa.
- Gratuities to guides and drivers and any expense of personal nature.
- Hotel accommodation.
- Meals: Dinner is left to your own arrangement.
- Our tour package does not include travel insurance. Please purchase travel insurance before your trip to provide for any unforeseen circumstances.
- This is a private tour for your group of family or friends. No other travelers will join you. It’s always available for your schedule.
- Smart casual dress and comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Prices based on twin occupancy.
- The prices shown above are not valid during China’s Official Holidays (such as National Day and Chinese Spring Festival etc.).