On one of our Silk Road tours you can follow in the footsteps of ancient merchants and the many involved in trade and commerce. With a relaxed travel itinerary, and the insights provided by our knowledgeable and enthusiastic guides, you’ll experience the real Silk Road. Our carefully curated tours of the Silk Road open up a world of spectacular natural scenery, an intricate network of cultures and religions, and aromatic and delicious food.
Destinations you’ll find on our Silk Road tours are some of the most iconic in China:
- In Lanzhou, you'll visit the impressive Bingling Si Grottoes, a Buddhist treasure in Gansu. Here marvel at the incredible carvings which have been etched into the steep canyon walls over a period of 1,600 years.
- At Zhangye, take in the vision of the incredible rainbow landscape of Zhangye Danxia National Park, located at the northern foot of Qilian Mountain. Find yourself steeped in local legend when you visit Horseshoe Hall, named after the temple’s treasure – horseshoe footprints left by a heavenly horse.
- In Jiayuguan, visit the spectacular Jiayuguan Pass, the western end and best-preserved ancient military castle of the Ming Dynasty’s Great Wall and hike along the Overhanging Great Wall.
- Be mesmerized in Dunhuang and savor the experience of the stunning Gobi desert. Here you’ll witness the stunning beauty of the crescent-shaped oasis, Crescent Lake, which is embraced by the Echoing Sands Dunes. A visit to Dunhuang wouldn’t be complete without a visit to the Mogao Grottoes, a UNESCO heritage site and the largest grottoes in China. Boasting over 700 caves, 2,000 painted statues, and 40 thousand square meters of mural paintings.
- The Jiaohe Ruins are just the start of your sightseeing in Turpan. Marvel at this UNESCO World Heritage site, which originated in the 2nd century BC.
Talk to one of our Silk Road tour operators about booking one of these additional activities while on tour.
- Camp in the desert - Anyone up for camping in the desert? You can do that on the west side of Echo Sound Mountain located at Crescent Spring. Featuring pristine sand dunes and breathtaking natural landscape of the region.
- Go all terrain on a buggy - All terrain buggy vehicles (ATV) are available for hire at various locations along the Silk Road.
- Ride a camel on the Silk Road - Prefer a slower pace? Have a real experience Silk Road travel on a camel. Start on the east side of Echo Sand Mountain and work your way around the way travellers from previous centuries did.