Enjoy our Zhangjiajie Tours all year round
Explore Zhangjiajie and be captivated by the breathtaking sandstone landforms that inspired poets and philosophers long before Avatar became a film that unveiled this gorgeous secret to the world.
The city of Zhangjiajie is located in Hunan in China’s southern central region. Its remoteness has preserved both the idyllic landscape and minority peoples who have been its inhabitants for millennia - the Tujia, Miao, and Bai. Rich in diversity - thanks in part to the subtropical and temperate conditions, Zhangjiajie and the now famous Wulingyuan Scenic Area, are places that regularly make it to the bucket list of China tour travelers.
It’s said that remnants of human civilization from around 100,000 years can be found here and it’s not hard to see why. Zhangjiajie is beautiful, ethereal, and stunning, but more than that, its unique geography and landscapes offer the makings of enriching and unrivalled travel memories. It’s any wonder visitors were few and far between. All that has changed now with the region’s highlights accessible through our selection of private, and custom tours. Read more
Certainly, Zhangjiajie’s distinctive pillar-like peaks rising out of the ground, precipitous cliffs, and sharp rocks engraved in various styles and forms, have been made famous, but to limit your knowledge to this association only is to miss the other beauty and uniqueness to be explored. If experiencing nature at its best is your kind of travel adventure, you’ll find ample to indulge your passion here. Apart from the spectacular sandstone pillars that rise hundreds of metres from the valley floor, there are ravines, gorges, caves, and a natural 'bridge across the sky', as well as exceptionally designed man-made attractions which allow a closer experience of everything here.
With Zhangjiajie private tours and custom tour options available, our day trips and multi-day trips are designed to offer you the very best of Zhangjiajie and surrounds, including the National Forest Park, Tianmen Mountain, Grand Canyon, Phoenix Ancient Town, and other exquisite natural sights not found elsewhere in the world. Our guests launch their adventure from Wulingyuan where they are accommodated in four and five star hotels in between exploring this gift of nature right up close. Few places in the world offer Zhangjiajie’s perspective. Be sure to add it to your must-see list for a China tour you'll remember for life.
With the appeal of Zhangjiajie extending well beyond fans of the movie Avatar, Zhangjiajie has much to offer the nature lover too. Here are just some of the highlights from our Zhangjiajie tours.
- Zhangjiajie National Forest Park – The Zhangjiajie National Forest Park has more going for it than inspiration for movie backdrops. Stunningly beautiful natural landscapes that literally take your breath away are a welcome contrast from the otherwise busy pace of China’s big cities. A definite inclusion on any Zhangjiajie tour.
- Tianzi Mountain Nature Reserve – Rising one after another, the peaks of Tianzi Mountain provide stunning views. Visitors can see the full expanse of the Wulingyuan Scenic Area and the beauty of each season – all at the same time. This unforgettable highlight of our Zhangjiajie tours is where you experience the four wonders: Radiance of the Moonlight, Sea of Clouds, Rays of Sunshine and Snow in Winter. Truly mesmerizing.
- Bailong Elevator – The Bailong Elevator (Hundred Dragons Elevator) is a huge glass elevator built into the side of a cliff. It stretches 326 meters into the sky and is in the Guinness Book of Records for being the highest outdoor elevator in the world! A definite for those who want an adventure as part of their Zhangjiajie tour.
- Ten-mile Gallery – Passage through the Ten-mile Gallery is a scenic delight of peaked mountains dotting the green landscape, local villages, forests, farms, and winding streams. Like a life-size, three-dimensional immersion experience, you’ll have the chance to experience the essence of the region firsthand.
- Yuanjiajie Scenic Area – An essential part of a Zhangjiajie tours experience is the naturally formed plateau in the Forest Park where you can enjoy the view of the surrounding deep valleys and high summits, lower peaks and grotesque rocks, each with its own peculiar shape.
Want to experience more of real China? Why not visit these other sights in and around Zhangjiajie?
- Visit Fenghuang – Reputedly China’s most beautiful town, Fenghuang Ancient Town is located southwest of Xiangxi. A five hour drive from Changsha, Fenghuang lives up to its title. Be impressed by the mystery, elegance and primitive simplicity of the ethnic Miao minority, their stilt houses, and the local quaint bridges.
- Catch your breath – That’s exactly what you’ll do at the Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon. The longest and highest in the world, the canyon draws adventurers from all over. You’ll be amazed at the sight provided by this exquisite natural landform.
- Step out for adventure – Not for the faint of heart, a walk on the transparent Glass Bridge may appeal. Hanging 300 meters above the ground with a transparent glass bottom, the bridge provides tourists with the thrill of walking in the sky, at the same time providing an outlook over the steep cliffs, lush mountains and clear waters of the Grand Canyon.
An ancient town in Hunan Province, Fenghuang has a reputation for having preserved the traditional ethnic customs and culture of the local minority people, as well the traditional buildings, which like the town date back 1,300 years.
Explore the former residence of Shen Congwen, one of the greatest modern Chinese writers. Climb the Tower of the East Gate, drop by the Yang Ancestral Memorial, the Ancient Town Museum and more.
Fenghuang Old Town, home to the Miao minority people, is renowned for the lines of traditional stilt houses tightly packed along the river. A visit here offers the chance to appreciate the elegance of the Miao style architecture or meander down the Tuojiang River to enjoy the serene riverside scenery. A far cry from the yang of China’s big and bustling cities, Fenhuang offers the perfect yin balance and travelers’ welcome reprieve.
With tours to, from and in twenty destinations in China, there is ample scope for extending your Zhangjiajie tour to include other cities and sights. Among the private tour options available we offer our guests tours combining Zhangjiajie with other stunning locales like:
- Changsha – Famous for the Yuelu Academy, with its preservation of scholarly pursuits, and Hunan Provincial Museum with a stunning collection of silk manuscripts, Changsha also retains favor with locals as the adopted home of former leader Mao Zedong.
- Guilin – Travel from Zhangjiajie to Guilin for more beautiful and inspiring landscapes. The karst stone mountains that dominate here and line the Li River have been fuel for the poetic fire for centuries. When you explore here, you’ll discover why.
We’ve already curated tours that cover Zhangjiajie, Changsha, and Guilin, however, if you have your own special itinerary in mind, let us take care of all the details. We know the region, work with exceptional English speaking guides and love helping our customers create beautiful travel memories that last well beyond the final departure gate on tour.
No two travelers are alike, that’s why we offer our customers maximum flexibility on our ChinaTours. If you’ve ever felt herded into a restaurant, commission-based shopping destination, or crowded tour bus, you’ve loved how flexible our tours are. Here’s what you can expect on a ChinaTours.com adventure:
- Relaxed private tour itineraries that allow ample time for sightseeing at every highlight.
- English speaking guides with the knowledge and enthusiasm you’d expect from a China tour company that cares.
- Own choice of meals at lunch and dinner, giving you the chance to experience the local cuisine and culture in every destination.
- Attention to every detail so you never need to worry about what’s happening next. From hotel check-ins to boarding the latest high-speed train, we’re right there with you every step of the way.
- The chance to customize your adventure any way you want to.
Our team of dedicated travel consultants know their stuff and would love to help you design the ultimate China tour, including time in Zhangjiajie – or anywhere else! You only need to ask us.