Open your eyes to a captivating experience of ancient religion, legend, and architecture when you visit Datong with the Yungang Grottoes, then balance this with a deep dive into Pingyao’s commercial pedigree, taking in the Rishengchang Former Bank, Ancient City Wall, Ming and Qing Street, and the Pingyao County Government Museum. Travel by high speed train between locations, enjoy two nights accommodation, your own choice meals, all under the attentive care of your own private guide. With opportunities to expand your library of beautiful and fascinating travel memories, this three day tour will enrich and delight with its focus on Chinese culture, heritage, traditions, and commerce from a bygone era.
|Vehicle||Air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver|
|Guide Service & Language||Professional English-speaking guides|
In the morning, take the high-speed train from Beijing North Railway Station to Datong. You will be met by the local guide at Datong Railway Station after the two-hour trip. Drive to visit the miraculous, mysterious Hanging Temple, the only existing monastery built in honor of three traditional Chinese religions: Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism. On a guided walk through the temple discover how the wooden structure survived 1400 years perched precariously on the cliff. Discover why it is built there, when it would have been much simpler to build on a mountain.
Exploration continues at the Nine Dragon Screen, the largest in China, even larger than the one in the Forbidden City. Hear from your guide about the legend behind the glorious glazed depictions of different dragons so significant in Chinese life. You will be transferred to the hotel in Datong to rest up for the next day’s adventures.
Meals included: None
After breakfast, your guide will meet you in the hotel lobby for a day of exciting exploration of the world-renowned attractions of Datong. On the drive to the Yungang Grottoes you will hear legendary stories of one of the four largest grottoes in China. Upon arrival, a round trip electric vehicle saves time and walking to the grottoes. Follow the guide to explore different stone carvings of Buddha, more than 50,000 statues built in three different phases: the first is the grand large Buddha statues; the second phase is an innovation period; and the third phase features smaller caves with smaller statues developed with private patronage.
At the end of the tour in Datong, you will take the train to Pingyao. On arrival, you will be met by the local guide in Pingyao and transferred to the hotel. Your guide will point out the highlights and history of the ancient town on the way to the hotel.
Meals included: Breakfast
Start the tour in Pingyao Ancient Town by visiting Rishengchang Former Bank, known as the precedent of modern Chinese banks. As the first and largest in ancient China, its branches were distributed throughout the whole country and could even be found in some western and southeastern countries. Pingyao’s bustling trade was protected by an Ancient City Wall dating back to 1370. The 6,163-meter wall with watchtowers and battlements represents one of the best preserved city walls in China. Walk the wall with your guide to discover the comprehensive defensive system and enjoy the panoramic view of the ancient town. As you explore the bustling heart of Pingyao in Ming and Qing Street, you can imagine the trade that has been ongoing for centuries. The importance of Pingyao as a major center can be seen in the nature of administrative functions that continue today. Pingyao County Government Museum is honored as the largest existing intact ancient county government in China, carrying the responsibilities and authority of every official department.
At the end of the tour, you will be transferred to Pingyao train station for taking the train back to Beijing.
Meals included: Breakfast
Inclusions / Exclusions
- Admission fees: to sightseeing spots and activities
- Activities specified in the itinerary
- Excellent professional English-speaking guide
- Ground transport in air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver
- 4-Star or 5-Star hotel accommodation with breakfast, based on double/twin occupancy as specified
- High speed train from Beijing to Datong (second class seat), Datong – Pingyao (second class seat) and Pingyao to Beijing (second class seat)
- Round trip electric vehicle ride at the Yungang Grottos
- Sight-seeing battery car ride at Ming and Qing Street
- Travel agency liability insurance during the tour
- Government taxes and fees
- International/domestic flights and trains to/from Beijing
- Transfer service in Beijing (to/from the train station)
- China Visa
- Gratuities to guides and drivers and any expense of personal
- Meals: Lunch is excluded allowing you flexibility around meal choices. Your guide is able to make recommendations and order for you, if required. Dinner is left to your own
- Our tour package does not include travel or medical insurance. Please purchase travel or medical insurance before your trip to provide for any unforeseen circumstances.
Tour specific important information – FOR PRIVATE TOUR
- This is a private tour for your group of family or friends. No other travelers will join you. It’s always available for your schedule.
- Smart casual dress and comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Prices based on twin occupancy.
- The prices shown above are not valid during China’s Official Holidays (such as National Day and Chinese Spring Festival etc.).