In a day, capture a breath of the evolution of Chinese and Buddhist history – from an old imperial capital to the wonder of craftsmanship in the grottoes and the amazing capacity for renewal in the buildings and energy of Shaolin.
|Vehicle||Air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver|
|Guide Service & Language||Professional English-speaking guide|
In the morning, you will be picked up from your hotel (our guide will contact you in advance to confirm the pickup time) or the railway station upon your arrival (the suggested arrival is before 9:00am) to start your day tour in Luoyang.
On the way to the Longmen Grottoes, your guide will share with you the thirteen-dynasty history of the ancient capital, Luoyang, and the background to the grottoes. An electric car will transfer you from arrival point to the majestic entrance to the sight-seeing area. Marvel at the sheer number and artistry of exquisite statues of Buddha scattered over thousands of large and small caves, covering an extensive area. The smallest one is tinier than a finger – the largest ten times human size. Hear from your guide the stories behind the development, destruction and conservation of the grottoes.
By taking a walk onto the bridge across the Yi River you can get a panoramic view of the whole of the grottoes. Alternatively, a cruise on the river provides a further perspective (at your own cost). Later, take the electric car to the parking lot to resume your tour.
Lunch is left to your own arrangement. Your guide will be happy to recommend authentic local food.
An hour’s drive will take you to the Shaolin Temple, home to the legendary Chinese Kungfu and Zen Buddhism. Enter through the grand white gate carrying an inscription from Emperor Kangxi to view the many temple halls with their inner decorations. Just as amazing is the extensive pagoda forest – tombs commemorating monks revered over different dynasties. No visit to the temple would be complete without enjoying a thrilling Kung Fu performance, which legend has originating in the temple as exercise for monks.
Note: Your guide will adjust the order of your tour to ensure you do not miss a performance at Shaolin Temple, which occurs on a fixed schedule five times daily. Each performance lasting about half an hour includes interaction with visitors.
Your day tour concludes when you are transferred to your hotel or the train station for the next destination, with time for departure recommended after 19:30.
Inclusions / Exclusions
- Admission fees: to sightseeing spots and activities specified.
- Activities specified in the itinerary.
- Excellent professional English speaking guide.
- Ground transport in an air-conditioned vehicle with licensed drivers as specified.
- Pick up and return to your hotel or transfer to/from train station.
- Electric car rides at Longmen Grottoes and Shaolin Temple.
- Travel agency liability insurance during the tour.
- Government taxes and fees.
- International/domestic flights and trains to/from Luoyang.
- China visa.
- Hotel accommodation.
- Gratuities to guides and drivers and any expense of personal nature.
- Meals: Lunch is excluded allowing you to flexibility around meal choices. Your guide will make recommendations and order for you, if required. Dinner is left to your own arrangement.
- Our tour package does not include travel insurance. Please purchase travel insurance before your trip to provide for any unforeseen circumstances.
- This is a private tour for your group of family or friends. No other travelers will join you. It’s always available for your schedule.
- Smart casual dress and comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Prices based on twin occupancy.
- The prices shown above are not valid during China’s Official Holidays (such as National Day and Chinese Spring Festival etc.).