Be prepared to have your idea of Hong Kong turned on its head with this historical day tour that highlights the city and regions British colonial past. Explore Nam Pak Hong, one of the oldest precincts in the city, famous for its commercial trading houses filled with unusual food, wares and Chinese medicines. Venture down Hollywood Road, one of the original streets built by British Royal Engineers and explore the antique stores that continue to buy and sell collectibles and antiques – perfect for those interested in gathering beautiful travel mementos to take home. For a change of pace, take time to reflect at Man Mo Temple, one of the earliest Chinese Temples in Hong Kong and then finish off the day passing by the commercial heart of Hong Kong in Central District’s Statue Square before boarding a Star Ferry to travel across Victoria Harbour. Enjoy the magnificent view of the Hong Kong skyline from the Tsim Sha Tsui Promenade to conclude this half-day historical tour with a difference. Ideal for those who want to see more of China’s modern history, this private half-day tour is led by a wonderful English-speaking guide and can be booked on its own or in conjunction with any other China tour. Just ask us how!
|Vehicle||Air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver|
|Guide Service & Language||Professional English-speaking guide|
Your day’s adventure commences in the morning when you are collected from the hotel and driven to the Western end of Hong Kong Island to explore Nam Pak Hong. Famously regarded as one the oldest neighborhoods in Hong Kong, Nam Pak Hong, which translates as ‘South and North traders’, is a local institution. Learn about the original industrious and community-minded traders and merchants who created the business and nurtured the community in Sheung Wan. A center of import and export trade between China, Southeast Asia, and beyond, the surrounding streets are identified as Nam Pak Hong street, rather than being recognized by individual names. You will have a chance to wander through this still thriving precinct that established for the local Chinese during the days of British colonial rule. The legacy of wholesale trade and commerce endures today as it continues to be the main center of wholesale dried seafood and traditional Chinese medicines in Hong Kong.
Venture on to Hollywood Road, one of the original streets built by the British Royal Engineers. Learn about its importance as an antique market frequented by foreign merchants and sailors who sold wares they’d ‘collected’ on their travels through China. You might even pick up one or two of your own.
For a change of pace, take time to reflect at Man Mo Temple, one of the earliest Chinese Temples in Hong Kong. Encircled by a seemingly infinite number of modern high rise buildings that seem to pierce the sky, you can’t help but feel that both the historical and contemporary are well-balanced here.
Pass by the Central District’s Statue Square on route to board an iconic Star Ferry for a trip across Victoria Harbor. The Statue Square is the heartbeat of Hong Kong’s international banking center and evidence of its status as a financial center. The Star Ferry ride is just seven minutes from point to point, so have your camera ready. Land at Tsim Sha Tsui Promenade for a magnificent view looking back at the spectacular Hong Kong skyline. Your guide will transfer you back to your hotel, concluding your tour.
Note: Ideal for travelers with only a half-day available, this tour can be scheduled for morning or afternoon to suit your other travel arrangements while in (or traveling through) Hong Kong.
Note: Your guide will contact you in advance to confirm the hotel pick up time. Lunch is at your own arrangement, although your guide is happy to assist with recommendations and order, if required.
Inclusions / Exclusions
- Admission fees: to sightseeing spots and activities specified
- Activities specified in the itinerary
- Excellent professional English-speaking guide
- Ground transport in the air-conditioned vehicle with a licensed driver
- Pick up and return to your hotel
- One-way ferry ride from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon
- Travel agency liability insurance during the tour
- Government taxes and fees.
- International flights to/from Hong Kong
- China visa
- Gratuities to guides and drivers and any expense of personal nature
- Hotel accommodation
- Meals: Meals are excluded. Your guide will make recommendations and order for you if required.
- Our tour package does not include travel insurance. Please purchase travel insurance before your trip to protect for any unforeseen circumstances
- This is a private tour for your group of family or friends. No other travelers will join you. It’s always available for your schedule.
- Smart casual dress and comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Prices based on twin occupancy.
- The prices shown above are not valid during China’s Official Holidays (such as National Day and Chinese Spring Festival etc.).