There is much to enjoy in this tour of immersion into ancient Chinese architecture, craft and culture, when you can try your hand at traditional skills. Whether picking tea, making an umbrella or kite, wondering at the skill of monks’ carvings or being enchanted by the picture post-card beauty of the lake, there are so many memorable experiences.
|Vehicle||Air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver|
|Guide Service & Language||Professional English-speaking guide|
Upon arrival in Hangzhou (before 13:00 is recommended) you will be picked up by your travel guide and transferred to the old block of Hangzhou to begin exploration of the city’s colorful folk culture. The tour begins at the Workmanship Demonstration Pavilion, a craft center where you can experience making such things as a kite or an oiled paper umbrella, while learning about folk art and culture of Hangzhou (at your own cost).
Outside the pavilion you will board a cruise to travel across the longest and oldest Grand Canal in the world to arrive at the Dadou Road Historical Block. Strolling the cobbled streets in this revitalized residential area discover fine examples of architecture from the Ming and Qing dynasties, peek into the past in the museums and displays of traditional crafts or indulge yourself at the cafes, restaurants and gift shops.
At the end of the day, it is time to head to the pre-booked hotel to enjoy free time at night.
Meals included: None
Tips: The show, Enduring Memories of Hangzhou, West Lake, is a pleasant option for your free time at night in Hangzhou. Delicate lights, natural stage of water and mountain, fantastic music and dance combine to make this show an unforgettable memory of Hangzhou.
After breakfast, pay a visit to the most sacred Buddhist center in southern China, Lingyin Temple, the main hall housing 500 statues of sitting Arhats. You will be amazed by the massive number and scale of Buddha statues carved in Feilai Peak and the exquisite carvings on the approach to the Temple. History and legends of the sites will be revealed by your guide along the way.
Next follows a relaxing cruise on West Lake aboard an ornate boat. Cruising the water you can appreciate fully the beauty of this man-made lake, designed for poetic serenity in the tradition of Chinese gardens, which forms the scene printed on the one yuan banknote. Magical views of hills, willows, bridges and well-placed structures, invite photographic and artistic endeavor, especially at sunrise or sunset. Cycling around this symbol of Hangzhou is another way to capture its beauty(at your own cost).
Lunch is left to your own arrangement. Your guide may offer suggestions to try some genuine local cuisine.
In the afternoon on a visit to a tea plantation, the whole cycle of tea production will be revealed as you get a close look at how tea grows and even pick some leaves if your visit coincides with the harvest season. Further understanding of Chinese tea history and culture can be gained at the China Tea Cultural Museum that holds collections of tea varieties, tea sets and machines for making tea.
The tour ends here and you will be transferred to the airport or railway station for your next destination. Alternatively, you can start your own exploration journey in Hangzhou.
Inclusions / Exclusions
- Admission fees: to sightseeing spots & activities specified.
- Activities specified in the itinerary.
- Excellent professional English-speaking guide.
- Ground transport in an air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver as specified.
- Accommodation: 4-star or 5-star hotels with breakfast based on double/twin occupancy as specified.
- Boat rides on Grand Canal and West Lake.
- Travel Agency Liability Insurance during the tour.
- Government taxes & fees.
- International/domestic flights and trains to/from Hangzhou.
- China visa.
- Gratuities to guides and drivers and any expense of personal nature.
- Meals: Lunches and dinners are excluded allowing you flexibility around meal choices. Your guide will make recommendations and order for you, if required.
- Cycling around the lake.
- Optional evening entertainment.
- Our tour package does not include travel insurance. Please purchase travel insurance before your trip to provide for any unforeseen circumstances.
- This is a private tour for your group of family or friends. No other travelers will join you. It’s always available for your schedule!
- Smart casual dress and comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Prices based on twin occupancy.
- The prices shown above are not valid during China’s Official Holidays (such as National Day and Chinese Spring Festival etc.).