How to pack for China – we believe this is the ultimate China packing essentials checklist. It’s a big call, isn’t it? But we think we’ve got this one covered.
With China tour design and travel in our DNA, we know a thing or two about China packing essentials.
When you’re a first-time traveler on a multi-day China tour, it’s good to have a comprehensive list of China packing essentials to make sure you’ve thought of everything you might want to bring.
After all, nothing ruins a day of sightseeing like blurry tour highlights because you forgot to pack your glasses. Not to mention showing up to spring snow in Beijing with nothing for footwear except sandals.
How to pack for China – the essentials
When you forget to pack the essentials, you risk ruining the opportunity to create a truly memorable China travel experience.
Want to avoid disastrous packing mishaps? Here’s everything you need to know to start your memorable travel experience from the moment you begin to pack your luggage.
China packing essentials: covering the basics
China is anything but small, covering over 20 000 kilometers of different terrains and climates. If your plan is to set foot in multiple regions of China, it’s important to pack accordingly. Think layers for all seasons.
Regardless of which season or region you travel to, your suitcase should at least include these China packing essentials:
- A valid passport (plus some copies), airline tickets, the necessary visas, related health certificates, and other important documents.
- Your travel itinerary and contact details from your tour operator, including direct phone numbers for ‘just in case’.
- Credit card(s), traveler cheques, a certain amount of Yuan, and some emergency cash.
- Travel insurance.
- All necessary chargers, a converter, and a plug adaptor (you can buy these in China, but we recommend buying one prior to travel).
- A pen, so you’re prepared to fill out customs forms on the plane.
- Technology, including headphones and camera (or your smartphone)
- A basic first-aid kit that includes hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes (you’ll need these everywhere you go in China!)
- A daypack for carrying the essentials while you’re out and about.
China clothing essentials: pack light and smart
Traveling to different regions of China doesn’t mean over-packing. On the contrary, our tip here is: pack light and smart. Make quick-dry fabrics your best China tour friend. Include clothing that can be worn on your active adventures, but also easily dressed up for a night out with a different pair of shoes or a scarf.
Wondering how to pull it all together. We’ve done the hard work for you. Check out our China clothing essentials list right here:
- 3 pairs of comfortable pants
- 1 or 2 pairs of shorts
- 3-5 short sleeve shirts
- 1-2 long sleeve shirts
- 1 “dressy” outfit
- A warm jumper or hoodie
- 3-4 pairs of underwear
- 4-6 pairs of socks
- 2 jackets, one fleece, and one windbreaker/rain jacket
- Sun-blocking hat
- A pair of good walking shoes
- Flip flops
- A pair of adventure sandals (optional)
- A pair of comfortable, casual shoes (optional)
- Waterproof and winter-proof boots (optional)
And there you are! Your China tour packing list is done and there is no longer any need to be concerned about how to pack for China – share this knowledge around!
One side note on clothes in China. In Chinese culture, pale skin is synonymous with nobility and wealth and therefore considered more beautiful. This is why so many Chinese men and women cover their skin with long sleeves and pants. While Western travelers will always stand out on tour in China, you can blend in more seamlessly by covering up, just like the locals.
Whether you’re soaking up the dramatic landscape of the Three Gorges, or the city-allure of Beijing, keep these China packing essentials in mind.
Depending on when and where you go, you can simply adjust this basic China packing list by season and region. And for those inevitable items you’ll forget, there’s no need to worry. You can get almost everything you need in China.
Still not sure about how to pack for China? Talk to one of our travel consultants today. They’ll take care of every detail, so you can experience the real China.
Come and tour with ChinaTours.com
ChinaTours.com is a leading provider of China tours, serving travelers who want an experience of real China for over ten years. ChinaTours.com offers small group, family tours and private tours in China and the surrounding region.
Feeling the travel bug and think a China tour might fix it? There’s no better place to start than by connecting with a China travel agency who can provide you with an unforgettable China experience. Traveling to 20 unique and exciting destinations, including Beijing, Xi’an, and Shanghai, we at ChinaTours.com designed our tours to meet the needs of people who enjoy structure and flexibility when they travel.