Gain a deeper appreciation of the evolution of Chinese and Buddhist history and culture on this unique two day tour that takes you from Luoyang, once an imperial capital (of 13 dynasties) to the amazing Shaolin Temple. Marvel at the advanced craftsmanship in the grottoes, the amazing capacity for renewal in the buildings, the exuberant energy of the Shaolin, and the archeological revelations of King’s Six-Horse Chariot of Zhou Dynasty. Delivered over two days inclusive of four or five star accommodation, high speed train travel, and an exceptional bilingual local guide, this is a unique tour that will enrich and expand the traveler looking for something different with their China tour.
|Vehicle||Air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver|
|Guide Service & Language||Professional English-speaking guides|
In the morning, take the high-speed train from Beijing West Railway Station to Luoyang. Approximately a four-hour trip, you have plenty of time to relax and absorb the diverse landscape along the way.
On arrival at Luoyang, you will be met by your local guide. On the way to the Longmen Grottoes, your guide will share with you the history of the ancient capital which spans thirteen dynasties, as well as the background of the grottoes. An electric car will transfer you to the majestic entrance of the sight-seeing area. Marvel at the sheer number and artistry of the exquisite collection of over 100,000 Buddhist sculptures scattered over thousands of large and small caves, covering an extensive area. The smallest statue is tinier than a finger – the largest ten times human size. Hear from your guide the stories behind the development, destruction, and conservation of the grottoes.
By taking a walk onto the bridge across the Yi River, you gain a panoramic view of the whole of the grottoes. Alternatively, a short cruise on the river provides a further perspective (at your own cost). Later, take the electric car to the parking lot for transfer to your hotel in an air-conditioned vehicle.
Meals included: None
After breakfast at the hotel, a 1.5-hour drive will take you to the Shaolin Temple, home to the legendary Chinese Kung Fu and Chinese Zen Buddhism. Enter through the grand white gate carrying an inscription from Emperor Kangxi to view the many temple halls with their inner decorations. Just as amazing is the extensive pagoda forest – tombs commemorating monks revered over different dynasties. No visit to the temple would be complete without enjoying a thrilling Kung Fu performance, which legend has it said that it originated in the temple as exercise for monks.
Note: Your guide will adjust the order of your tour to ensure you do not miss a performance at Shaolin Temple, which occurs on a fixed schedule five times daily. Each performance lasting about half an hour includes interaction with visitors.
Relax in comfort as you are transferred back to Luoyang to continue your tour with a visit to Museum of Emperor’s Six-horse Chariot, the 2,000-year-old burial site of one emperor, built over the burial site of emperors in the Eastern Zhou Dynasty (770BC-256BC). Relics and artefacts reveal the burial rituals and ancient history of people who lived during those eras.
At the end of the tour, you will be transferred to the train station for catching the high-speed train back to Beijing.
Meals included: Breakfast
Inclusions / Exclusions
- Admission fees: to sightseeing spots and activities
- Activities specified in the itinerary
- Excellent professional English-speaking guide
- Ground transport in air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver
- 4-Star or 5-Star hotel accommodation in Luoyang with breakfast, based on double/twin occupancy as specified
- High speed train from Beijing to Luoyang (second class seat), Luoyang to Beijing (second class seat)
- Round trip battery car ride at the Longmen Grottoes
- Travel agency liability insurance during the tour
- Government taxes and fees
- International/domestic flights and trains to/from Beijing
- Transfer service in Beijing (to/from the train station)
- China Visa
- Gratuities to guides and drivers and any expense of personal
- Meals: Lunch is excluded allowing you flexibility around meal choices. Your guide is able to make recommendations and order for you, if required. Dinner is left to your own
- Our tour package does not include travel or medical insurance. Please purchase travel or medical insurance before your trip to provide for any unforeseen circumstances.
Tour specific important information – FOR PRIVATE TOUR
- This is a private tour for your group of family or friends. No other travelers will join you. It’s always available for your schedule.
- Smart casual dress and comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Prices based on twin occupancy.
- The prices shown above are not valid during China’s Official Holidays (such as National Day and Chinese Spring Festival etc.).