Expand your knowledge of Chinese history when you travel by high speed train to Chengde, where you’ll discover the beautiful Mountain Resort, crafted during the time of the Qing Dynasty as an imperial summer residence. Overnight in Chengde and enjoy the opportunity to visit the local night market Erxianju and night show. On your second day, explore more of Chengde’s remarkable temples and marvel at that architecture, craftsmanship, and dedication of the artisans who were behind this fascinating corner of China. Including a choice of four or five star hotel accommodation, high speed train travel, and the option to enjoy local street food, performance art, and more, this two day tour is a wonderful way to create more beautiful travel memories of this amazing country.
|Vehicle||Air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver|
|Guide Service & Language||Professional English-speaking guides|
Depart Beijing to Chengde in the morning by taking the high-speed train at Beijing Chaoyang Railway Station. After a trip of approximately one hour, you will be met by your guide at Chengde South Railway Station and commence the tour in Chengde.
Today’s highlight is the legendary Chengde Mountain Resort, the summer palace for Qing Dynasty emperors. The vast complex of palaces, administrative and ceremonial buildings was constructed between 1703 and 1792. Covering an area of over 611 hectares, the Mountain Resort and its Outlying Temples represent the great achievements of Chinese palace architecture, gardening art and religious architecture. Wander the imperial gardens and enjoy the landscape of forests, lakes, and pastureland. After the tour in the Mountain Resort, visit the Chengde Museum to learn the history of the Qing Dynasty and Mountain Resort, while exploring the exhibitions for cultural exchanges and architectural art.
At the day’s end, you will be checked into the hotel and free to enjoy your evening. Alternatively, visit the local night market Erxianju to have a taste of local snacks or enjoy the fantastic outdoor show of “Peak Dynasty and Emperor Kangxi Grand Ceremony”.
Meals included: None
Continue your tour in Chengde after breakfast by visiting Putuo Zongcheng Temple, the largest of the Eight Outer Temples. Discover the beauty of Chinese and Tibetan architectural art when you visit the grand temple complex which was modeled after the Potala Palace in Tibet. The temple was built between 1767 and 1771 during the reign of Emperor Qianlong to celebrate his 60th birthday.
Next stop is Xumi Fushou Temple, which was originally built in 1780 for the sixth Panchen Lama while staying in Chengde. It was modeled after the Tashi Lhunpo Monastery, the monastic seat of Panchen Lama in Shigatse. You will then be taken to the Puning Temple (Temple of Universal Joy), locally known as Big Buddha Temple and the only remaining active religious site in Chengde. Originally built in1755, the temple was designed with a different architectural style. The traditional Chinese buildings are located in the north section, while the southern section houses Tibetan buildings. The highlight of the temple is the world’s largest gold-lacquer wooden sculpture of Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, which is enshrined in the Mahayana Pavilion, a structure modeled after the famous Samye Temple in Tibet.
In the late afternoon, you will be driven to Chengde South Railway Station to take the high-speed train back to Beijing where your tour ends.
Meals included: Breakfast
Inclusions / Exclusions
- Admission fees: to sightseeing spots and activities
- Activities specified in the
- Excellent professional English-speaking guide
- Ground transport in air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver
- 4-Star or 5-Star hotel accommodation with breakfast, based on double/twin occupancy as specified
- High speed train from Beijing to Chengde (2nd class seat), Chengde to Beijing (2nd class seat)
- Travel agency liability insurance during the tour
- Government taxes and
- International/domestic flights and trains to/from Beijing
- Transfer service in Beijing (to/from the train station)
- China Visa
- Gratuities to guides and drivers and any expense of personal
- Meals: Lunch is excluded allowing you flexibility around meal choices. Your guide is able to make recommendations and order for you, if required. Dinner is left to your own
- Our tour package does not include travel or medical insurance. Please purchase travel or medical insurance before your trip to provide for any unforeseen circumstances.
Tour specific important information – FOR PRIVATE TOUR
- This is a private tour for your group of family or friends. No other travelers will join you. It’s always available for your schedule.
- Smart casual dress and comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Prices based on twin occupancy.
- The prices shown above are not valid during China’s Official Holidays (such as National Day and Chinese Spring Festival etc.).