Custom Declaration

What is the difference between the red channel and green channel? TOP

There are two channels, the red and green, at the Chinese customs. Green channel is for visitors who have no items that require any declaration while the red one, apparently, is for those who need declaration. If visitors are not certain about which channel to take, passing though the red one would be a safer choice.

What kind of items should be declared?TOP

1. Personal articles intended to remain in the territory, valued at RMB2, 000 or above

2. 1,500ml or above of alcoholic drinks (containing 12% or above alcoholic content); 400 sticks or above of cigarettes; 100 sticks or above of cigars; 500g or above of tobacco.

3. RMB20, 000 cash or above, or any other foreign currencies in cash equivalent to US$5,000 or above.

4. Animals and plants, animal and plant products, microbes, biological products, human tissues, blood and blood products.

5. Radio transmitters, radio receivers, communication security equipments.

6. Other articles which are prohibited or restricted from being brought into the territory in accordance with the law of the People's Republic of China.

7. Goods of commercial value, samples, advertisements.

8. Unaccompanied baggage.

How much cash can I carry when passing through the Chinese Customs?TOP

RMB20, 000 cash or any other foreign currencies in cash equivalent to US$5,000 are allowed when passing through the Chinese Customs. Any travelers carrying more than that should make declaration voluntarily.

Which duty-free goods am I allowed to bring through the customs?TOP

Travelers are allowed to bring into China a limited quantity of duty-free goods, which includes 2 liters of alcoholic beverages, 50g (2 ounce) of gold or silver, reasonable amount of perfume, 1 still camera and reasonable amount of film.

Am I allowed to take Bible to China? What about other publications? TOP

Yes, Bibles for personal use are allowed to be taken with the visitors. However, the amount of the Bible should not exceed three copies. Any copies aside from the quota would be confiscated at the Chinese Customs.

As for other publications, printed, audio and video products containing the following contents are prohibited from importing into China:

1. Containing elements that attack the Constitution of the People's Republic of China, falsely accuse the existing policies of the country, slander the Chinese Communist Party and the leaders of the country, contain propaganda which tries to overturn the government and/or destroy the stabilization and friendship between all nationalities, provoke “two China” or “Tai Wan independence” theory.

2. Containing detailed obscenity, pornography, superstition, murder, strong violence and other elements which are detrimental to the political, economic, cultural and moral interests of China.

3. Exceeding the reasonable quantity for personal use and spreading any printed, audio and video religious products by any means.

The term “printed products” refers to the replicas reproduced of the same contents in paper or other commonly used materials employing zinc plate, matrix or negative by means of machinery or illumination, as well as photographic plate, paper mould, painting, clip and paste, hand-written copy and duplicate copy. The term “audio and video products” refers to gramophone records, magnetic tapes, videotapes, video compact discs, compact discs, cinematographic films, slides and a variety of the storage media for computers.

Shall I face penalty of any kind if I didn’t declare the items that I am supposed to? TOP

Yes. China customs observe the rules and regulations very strictly. We strongly suggest you to read the Custom Declaration Form carefully and make yourself clear on what kind of articles needed to be declared. As the custom declaration is quite a troublesome procedure, it's better to ask in advance should any questions concerning the regulations arise.

What are the declaration procedures? TOP

1. Obtain the declaration form and read the instruction on the back very carefully.

2. Fill out the declaration form.

3. Choose the Customs declaration channel needed.

4. Submit the declaration form and conduct the Customs formalities.

The original URL of this page