Capture a breath of the evolution of Chinese and Buddhist history and culture – from an old imperial capital, to the wonder of craftsmanship in the grottoes, the amazing capacity for renewal in the buildings and energy of Shaolin and the archeological revelations of Tianzijialiu.
|Vehicle||Air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver|
|Guide Service & Language||Professional English-speaking guide|
Upon arrival in Luoyang, you will be met by your guide and start the tour in Luoyang.
(Note: The suggested arrival is before 14:00pm to ensure your trip to the Longmen Grottoes is not hurried.)
On the way to the Longmen Grottoes, your guide will share with you the thirteen-dynasty history of the ancient capital, Luoyang, and the background to the grottoes. An electric car will transfer you from arrival point to the majestic entrance to the sight-seeing area. Marvel at the sheer number and artistry of the exquisite collection of over 100,000 Buddhist sculptures scattered over thousands of large and small caves, covering an extensive area. The smallest statue is tinier than a finger – the largest ten times human size. Hear from your guide the stories behind the development, destruction and conservation of the grottoes.
By taking a walk onto the bridge across the Yi River you can get a panoramic view of the whole of the grottoes. Alternatively, a short cruise on the river provides a further perspective (at your own cost). Later, take the electric car to the parking lot for transfer to your pre-booked hotel in an air-conditioned vehicle.
Meals included: None
After breakfast at your hotel, an hour’s drive will take you to the Shaolin Temple, home to the legendary Chinese Kungfu and Chinese Zen Buddhism. Enter through the grand white gate carrying an inscription from Emperor Kangxi to view the many temple halls with their inner decorations. Just as amazing is the extensive pagoda forest – tombs commemorating monks revered over different dynasties. No visit to the temple would be complete without enjoying a thrilling Kung Fu performance, which legend has originating in the temple as exercise for monks.
Note: Your guide will adjust the order of your tour to ensure you do not miss a performance at Shaolin Temple, which occurs on a fixed schedule five times daily. Each performance lasting about half an hour includes interaction with visitors.
Relax in comfort as you are transferred back to Luoyang to continue your tour with a visit to Tianzijialiu Museum, the 2,000 year old burial site of one emperor, built over the burial site of emperors in the Eastern Zhou Dynasty (770BC-256BC). Relics and artefacts reveal the burial rituals and ancient history of people who lived during those eras.
At the end of the tour, you will be transferred to the train station or airport for your next destination, with time for departure recommended after 19:00.
Meals included: Breakfast
Inclusions / Exclusions
- Admission fees: to sightseeing spots & activities specified.
- Activities specified in the itinerary.
- Excellent professional English-speaking guide.
- Ground transport in an air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver as specified.
- Accommodation: 4-star or 5-star hotels with breakfast based on double/twin occupancy as specified.
- Electric car at Longmen Grottoes and Shaolin Temple.
- Travel Agency Liability Insurance during the tour.
- Government taxes & fees.
- International/domestic flights and trains to/from Luoyang.
- China visa.
- Gratuities to guides and drivers and any expense of personal nature.
- Meals: Meals are excluded. Your guide will make recommendations and order for you, if required.
- Our tour package does not include travel insurance. Please purchase travel insurance before your trip to protect for any unforeseen circumstances.
- This is a private tour for your group of family or friends. No other travelers will join you. It’s always available for your schedule!
- Smart casual dress and comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Prices based on twin occupancy.
- The prices shown above are not valid during China’s Official Holidays (such as National Day and Chinese Spring Festival etc.).