Capture an experience of ancient religion, legend and architecture, with plenty of interesting photo opportunities during a visit to the inland city of Datong with its rich culture and heritage.
|Vehicle||Airconditioned vehicle with licensed driver|
|Guide Service & Language||Professional English-speaking guide|
You will be warmly welcomed by your experienced guide at the train station or airport baggage claim area and start the exciting exploration in a comfortable air-conditioned vehicle. On way to the Yungang Grottoes you will hear legendary stories of one of the four largest grottoes in China. Upon arrival, a round trip battery car saves time and walking to the grottoes. Follow the guide to explore different stone carvings of Buddha statues built in three different phases: the first is the grand large Buddha statues; the second phase is an innovation period; and the third phase features smaller caves with smaller statues developed with private patronage.
Drive on to the Huayan Monastery, to take a guided walk through this special Buddhist temple comprising upper and lower parts. Admire magnificent wall paintings and great statues of Buddha over three eras – past, present and future. Learn the reason why the temple faces east instead of south like other Buddhist temples in China.
Exploration continues at the Nine Dragon Screen, the largest in China, even larger than the one in the Forbidden City. Hear from your guide the legend behind the glorious glazed depictions of different dragons so significant in Chinese life.
Today’s tour concludes when you are transferred to the pre-booked hotel to rest up for the next day’s adventures.
Meals included: None
After breakfast today, your guide will pick you up at the hotel and drive to the miraculous, mysterious Hanging Monastery, the only existing monastery built in honor of three traditional Chinese religions: Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism. On a guided walk through the temple discover how the wooden structure survived 1400 years perched precariously in the cliff. Find out why it is built there, when it would have been much simpler to build on a mountain.
The Wooden Pagoda in Ying County is the next stop, where you can be intrigued by the oldest existing wooden construction in China, built without a nail, using 54 types of bracket arms. The pagoda, erected in 1056, has survived several big earthquakes over the centuries. A centerpiece of the ground floor is an 11 meter high statue of Buddha built during the same period.
At the end of the tour, you will be transferred to the airport or the train station for your next destination. Alternatively, you can start your own exploration journey in Datong.
Meals included: Breakfast
Inclusions / Exclusions
- Admission fees: to sightseeing spots and activities specified.
- Activities specified in the itinerary.
- Excellent professional English-speaking guide.
- Ground transport in air-conditioned vehicle with licensed driver.
- 4 star or 5 star hotel accommodation with breakfast, based on double/twin occupancy as specified.
- Round trip battery car ride at the Yungang Grottoes.
- Travel agency liability insurance during the tour.
- Government taxes and fees.
- International/domestic flights and trains to/from Datong.
- China visa.
- Gratuities to guides and drivers and any expense of personal nature.
- Meals: Lunches and dinner are excluded allowing you flexibility around meal choices. Your guide is able to make recommendations and order for you, if required.
- Our tour package does not include travel insurance. Please purchase travel insurance before your trip to provide for any unforeseen circumstances.
- This is a private tour for your group of family or friends. No other travelers will join you. It’s always available for your schedule.
- Smart casual dress and comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Prices based on twin occupancy.
- The prices shown above are not valid during China’s Official Holidays (such as National Day and Chinese Spring Festival etc.).